BibleSumo is an internet resource to help Christians grow in their personal relationship with God. Resources at BibleSumo focus on three specific areas.
A. Bible Study
- We post Bible studies in the form of written articles, audios, and videos. You can also listen to our podcast at BibleSumo Weekly where audio Bible studies are released.
B. Christian Life and Doctrine
- We post written articles on theology and how to live the Christian life as well as personal reflections and testimonies. We also post resources for personal growth and the family.
C. Bible Study Tools and Book Reviews
Our Core Beliefs
We uphold the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith, expressed by the ancient statements of faith:
These creeds articulate truths regarding the Triune God, His works of creation and redemption, and the person and saving work of Jesus Christ. These truths are foundational to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
B. Five Solas of the Protestant Reformation
We uphold the convictions recovered during the 16th Century Protestant Reformation which can be summarized in the five solas:
1. Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)
We believe that Scripture alone is our ultimate authority for faith and practice, since it alone is God-breathed and without error. God's word through the power of the Holy Spirit is sufficient for all things pertaining to life and godliness. (Matthew 4:4; Mark 7:6–8; 2 Timothy 3:16–17)
2. Sola Gratia (Grace Alone)
We believe that all men have sinned in Adam’s disobedience and before God stand condemned. We have lost all ability of will to perform any spiritual good necessary for salvation. Therefore, the salvation of sinners requires the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit by the grace of God alone. It is not caused by our own will or merit or from anything in us foreseen by God. (Ephesians 2:8–9; Romans 6:23)
3. Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
We believe that sinners are justified (declared righteous by God) by faith alone and not by human effort or good works in addition to faith. Genuine saving faith yields fruit worthy of repentance as demonstrated in righteous attitudes and conduct. Empowered by the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer, Christians can live godly lives, minister in the church, and go into the world to make disciples. (Romans 5:1; Galatians 2:16)
4. Solo Christo (Christ Alone)
We believe in the deity and full humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal, visible return in power and glory.
By Christ Jesus' fulfillment of the Law and His obedience unto death on the cross, He paid the debt for all who are justified by faith in Him. There is salvation in no one else since Christ's work and merit alone provide for our righteousness before a holy God. The righteousness of God is not infused into us; instead, God's righteousness is imputed. God pardons our sins and declares us righteous through Christ alone. (John 14:6; 1 Timothy 2:5)
5. Soli Deo Gloria (To God Alone Be the Glory)
We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is all-powerful and all-knowing. Because He is the author and finisher of our faith, it is our ultimate purpose to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Every act of every Christian is to be brought under His lordship and carried out to His glory alone. (Romans 11:36; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Hebrews 12:2)
Helpful Statements and Confessions
- Westminter Standards (1644)
- Savoy Declaration (1658)
- Second London Baptist Confession (1677/1689)
- Tabular Comparison of 1646 WCF, 1658 Savoy, and 1677/1689 LBCF
- Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy (October 1978)
- The Danvers Statement (1987)
- Cambridge Declaration (April 1996)
- Nashville Statement (2017)
- Ligonier Statement on Christology